Note: All nuts are standard thread.
See snap ring in this picture. Only the bottom bearing is held by snap rings. I leave the inner snap ring alone. No reason to remove it.
I found every key locked solidly in place, so I didn't bother them. Instead I pressed the upper bearings down and off the bottom of the shaft.
not having a hydraulic press, I pressed them off in my industrial sized Athol vise, made by the Athol Machine Co., which apparently was bought out in 1920.
Not sure how much longer Athol brand vises were sold after that, but I'm guessing mine is anywhere from 1900 to 1930. It is a very rugged vise that opens up to 8" and has an unusual handle with a dog clutch in it. Pull towards you and you can reposition the handle anywhere you wish. Unfortunately, my clutch is worn and slips, so I have it locked most of the time. For arbors to press against, I use my Harbor Freight deep impact socket set. They press against the bearing in the right places, without damage to them of the bearing
More bad news. One pulley was badly rusted and
Above right: The rusted 4 1/2" inch John Deere and the 5" Weasler. While they look very different, where the belt rides is nearly identical, and that is what matters.
At left, the old John Deere with the rusted half removed in the lathe, and the new Weasler pulley. Now, simply attach them together. They fit almost perfectly, with the John Deere nestled under the rolled edge of the Weasler, which I then pounded tight over the edge of the Deere.
At right, an original John Deere, and my Weasler Deere pulley.
Meanwhile, I continued to work on the deck. Filling some of the larger rust pits made a dramatic improvement, so I filled some more. It was really starting to look good! I repeated the process once more, re-sanding each time.
I used a can of John Deere Top Sail white I had on hand as the finish coat. It is some of the nicest spray paint I've ever used, much better than the quick drying hardware store brands. The high gloss finish almost has a wet look appearance to it.
There is actually very little putty on the finished deck. I sanded until I had a surface of shiny metal and filled pits. The putty adhered well to the pits, which were treated with the rust converter.
I'll give the paint a few days to cure before assembling the mower. Unfortunately, there is no need to rush, as the heat wave has turned my fields brown.
It was a tight fit on the right side, and rubs a little. Also, the spindle has to be loosened to replace the belt. Fortunately, I needed only one replacement pulley.
Below: A close up of the edges of the patch. A very close fit with no sharp edges to cut through the paint on the deck.
Here is a view under the deck after mowing 2 acres. Only a small amount of grass has accumulated, a big improvement. No, the blades are NOT spinning! I'm not sure why it appears like that other than it happens to fall on the dividing line between the bright sunshine in the background and the dim lighting under the mower.
Here is a link to my John Deere mule hitch repair