This is normally an easy to install kit. However, my tailstock casting was quite uneven where the kit would be resting. I decided to machine the bottom of the kit to match the angle of my casting.
I had to cut a compound angle and file a radius on the bottom of my kit to get it aligned correctly. Once I had a good fit, I drilled the hole for the shaft.
Even though cutting the angle made my kit shorter, I nearly came out of the top of the flat area on the rear of the tailstock.Like everything else on this casting, this flat area was not flat, so I milled it flat. Then I added a flat washer and a wave spring washer to eliminate the sloppy feel of the handle when in the unlocked position. It works fine without it, especially of you install a spring like the one included in LMS's Tweaks.&.Enhancements kit. But I like to make everything feel as precise as possible.
A front view. I am very pleased with this kit. It operates smoothly and locks solidly. A vast improvement over the original lock nut.